Normally I go for the meat + veggie + potato combo when we are trying to eat healthy, but I was craving something a little more fun and out of the box. Well, greek pitas probably aren’t that out of the box but I’ve never really thought to cook them. It was something I enjoyed making and it was an unexpected dinner for the hubs (who loved them).
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 lb. of Chicken Breast
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 1 Red Onion
- Pita Pockets (I got honey whole wheat which were delish)
- 1 Heart of Romaine
- 1/2 cup Plain Yogurt
- Reduced Fat Feta
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 Garlic cloves (forgot to photograph)
- Cut up onion and mince garlic and place in a crock pot along with the chicken breast. I also added a little bit of chicken stock (about 1/4 cup), you could also use water or vegetable broth. Then season well with Oregano, Savory, Salt, Pepper, and whatever else you have on hand. Some seasoning salt or garlic salt would also go well with chicken. Cook for 3-4 hours on Low or until your chicken is cooked throughout.
- Prep all the Veggies when your chicken is almost done. (Dice tomatoes, wash and cut romaine, slice red onion, ect)
- Heat Pita Pockets as directed. I just placed them on the stove with a bit of butter and put a lid on the pan to warm throughout.
- Take your chicken out on cutting board and cube or shred chicken
- Use remaining liquid with onions in it and mix with 1/2 plain yogurt (or more depending on how much liquid remains) to make a delicious sauce. I added some salt and pepper and garlic powder to spice it up.
- Now your ready to put them together. I put sauce in the pita pocket first then chicken and veggies topped with feta! Yum.